Cultural Sensitivity Selection Criteria Example

In an effort to help you understand the selection criteria response for Cultural Sensitivity, we have provided an example below.  Do you need help writing your selection criteria? You may be surprised by how reasonable our rates are. Visit us here

Criterion 1 – Cultural Sensitivity

- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of Australian Indigenous societies and cultures and the issues affecting these cultures in Australian society

 - Demonstrated ability to communicate sensitively and effectively with Indigenous people.

As an Indigenous Australian, I have the required knowledge and understanding of Indigenous societies and cultures, including the issues that affect these cultures in Australian Society and the ability to communicate sensitively and effectively with other Indigenous People.
My current role is that of a Customer Service Adviser for the Department of Molly Polly Services at the Polly Centre. In this role, I assist indigenous clients in remote communities to get onto income support payments, which includes the referral of customers to job network providers and encouraging their participation in employment, education or training. I also provide quality participation solutions to indigenous customers. To do this effectively, I am required to overcome a number of barriers which can include cultural restraints such as “sorry business” and language barriers which require the assistance of an interpreter.

For example, when a client presents as having a language barrier to overcome, I arrange a translator or call upon the agent in the community to interpret for me, at times I can also call upon our remote visiting teams if they happen to be in the community at the time. If I identify that a customer has a significant language barrier, I attempt to refer the client to a Language, Literacy and Numeracy program to help the customer overcome this barrier. When responding to indigenous clients, I communicate in a cross cultural context, clearly structure the communication on the objective, and present myself as open and approachable. I build rapport with customers by using active listening techniques, logic and persuasion. I am careful of my tone and how the information I present may be perceived and I clearly back facts up with evidence.

I have a solid understanding of the issues affecting indigenous society such as overcrowded housing, poor life expectancy, the shame and stigma associated with income management and educational barriers. I am passionate about “closing the gap” and believe that seeking first to understand my customer’s background and cultural beliefs, prior to being understood is a step towards this.

Write your own criteria in less than 20 minutes with my Do IT Yourself Selection Criteria and Government Application Templates. Learn More Here

Comments

  1. A superbly written article, if only all bloggers offered the same content as you, the internet would be a far better place. Cultural Awareness

    ReplyDelete
  2. babe thanks for the tips, it will definitionally help me to crack my interview and improve my communication skill. my portfolio - Hot satta

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Nurse Selection Criteria Help and Examples

Selection Criteria Example, Cultivates Productive Working Relationships

Personal Drive and Integrity Selection Criteria Example