Nurse Selection Criteria Help and Examples

Want more information on Nurse Selection Criteria Examples? Click Here


1.       Demonstrated ability to work within a team environment. 

I have worked in a team oriented environment and believe the key to performing well is having a good relationship with the team members. I am friendly, respectful, supportive and encouraging towards my team members. I’m willing to share workloads and offer a helping hand when needed.


In my recent workplace, I communicate clearly, listen carefully and respect the point of views of others to ensure a successful outcome. I participate in a monthly unit meeting and contribute ideas towards problems that arise in the unit. An example was when paid yellow prescriptions (restricted drugs) were misplaced or lost. This event caused a large problem the led to conflict in the workplace and we were unable to administer the medication to the patient. In the subsequent staff meeting, I recommended we use a logbook and log every paid yellow prescription received by the staff including the name of the patient, the medication and the quantity being purchased. Moreover, both nurse and the patient or family member signs the log information with date and time. All the paid yellow prescriptions brought to the pharmacy and medication collected must also be logged. The idea was recognized by senior staff and became part of the unit policy which was implemented immediately.


Likewise, I supported the team by assisting our head nurse making a roster and orientating our trainees. When I conduct orientation, I thoroughly explain and emphasize the unit policy such as infection control, medication administration policy, and procedures in practice area. Also, I demonstrate how to perform frequent procedures encountered in the unit and ask and encourage clarification and questions to ensure students feel supported.


I also coordinated nursing care plans for my team and other departments as part of a medical intervention. Such situations occurred when a patient was a candidate for surgery. I worked with a medicating nurse regarding pre-op medications and blood sugar level monitoring prior handing over the patient to theater nurse. The information relayed was not limited to a pre-op care plan, it also included patient’s history, laboratory results and patient status like OBS or Glasgow Coma Scale.


As a result of my effective teamwork skills, I was named “Best Buddy” in the unit. I believe these team work skills will be useful throughout my career.


2.       Demonstrated effective communication and interpersonal skills.


I have worked as a full time Registered Nurse which has allowed me to develop high-level communication skills through clear, assertive and emphatic communication across the practice area and highly developed interpersonal skills through team player and building rapport with patients, family members and clinical manager/supervisors.


I interact with the patient in a clear manner and speak at their level of comprehension. I observe body language and non-verbal cues while having conversations and listen carefully to any given words especially regarding information related to their needs.


Part of my role in the past was to provide support and development towards nurse trainees. Using my oral communication skills, I explained to them unit policy and discussed the patient’s care plan. Likewise, I encouraged them to openly contribute their needs about the care plan that could positively impact the patient’s recovery.


My service for a public hospital, has given me the opportunity to cultivate my interpersonal skills when engaged in conflict. I focus on listening to the patient/family members’ needs or complaints and identify the core message before responding. For example, when I encountered conflict from a family member regarding a patients diagnose of rabies encephalopathy, I approached them and introduced myself and explained my role in the unit, prior to listening to their grievance. I identified that their concern was regarding the handling of patient with rabies. I explained to them the policy that governed the taking care of a symptomatic rabies patient in a professional toned manner, avoiding jargon and giving them the opportunity to ask questions. I expressed empathetic feeling towards the family member’s situation whilst maintaining professional boundaries.


I possess highly-developed good manners and a positive attitude towards teams, which results in a joint effort towards providing quality care outcomes to patients. I believe that I’ve demonstrated effective communication and interpersonal skills with examples provided and would like to contribute my skills in your workplace.


3.       Knowledge of legislation and policies relating to nursing practices and the workplace.


I have attended a Bridging Program for Overseas Qualified Nurses to acquired registration as a Registered Nurse, where I gained knowledge of legislations and policies governing nurses in their profession and practice setting.


The Nurses and Midwives Act 2006 provide sets of regulations for nurses in order to maintain suitable knowledge and clinical skills for the purpose of safeguarding the individuals and community. The law serves as a guide in the application for registration such as holding an approved educational qualification, 100% accuracy in drug administration and calculation and a clear criminal history.


The course also covered the Poison Act 1964 and Poison Regulation 1965 and serve as standard procedure for Medical Practitioners and Registered Nurse/Midwifes in administration and dispensation of scheduled drugs. I demonstrated this legislation when I did my clinical placement at SAMPLE Private Hospital. When administering scheduled drugs, I ensured, together with my clinical preceptor, that there was a written or verbal order by an authorized practitioner like physician, dentist, podiatrist or nurse practitioner. (However, nurse practitioners are limited to only prescribing s4 drugs, they are prohibited to prescribe or make orders for s8 medications). Once the written/verbal order was confirmed, we counted the number of ordered drugs in the cupboard then logged in an authorized record book the name of drug and quantity removed from the cupboard. I observed the six rights of drug administration, asked for allergies, and administered the drug before documenting the procedure.


With regards in securing, handling and maintaining records of stock supply of s4 and s8 drugs, it was the responsibility of a Registered Nurse/Midwife to keep the cupboard locked all the time and safeguard the keys. Likewise,  when disposing of medications especially s8 drug, two Registered Nurse or one Registered Nurse and Registered Midwife perform the procedure. One discarding the drug while the other one observing and ensuring that it is discarded properly, It’s then documented in an authorized record book together with drug’s name, dosage, volume/quantity and date and time of disposal.


 I understand that Occupational Health and Safety is a law that exists in Australia to ensure health care workers are working in a safe practice environment. With awareness of this law, I identify/assess potential threats or injury in the workplace. This law covers hazardous substances and dangerous goods associated to injury such as faulty electrical wiring, absences of sharp containers, uneven flooring and lack of signage for fire exit, wet floors or high voltage area. Infectious materials are also considered hazardous like tubes, catheters and dressings soaked with body fluid. I properly segregate these materials in an infectious bin. When handling these infectious materials, I wear Personnel Protective Equipment.  Similarly, I ensure emergency exits are free from any obstacles, each room and floors have an emergency exit plan posted and staff is aware of their role when an emergency arises.


As a Registered Nurse, I’m aware and adhere to the unit policy such as the proper room assignment of our patient in accordance to their diagnosis. Transferring patients to other departments has a certain policy to follow; I ensure before handing over the patient, the patient had already received antibiotics for 72 hours, have a chest x-ray and all reports are properly documented. I adhere to infection control policy and I ensure prior/after handling patient I wash my hands and maintain sterile techniques when assisting surgical procedure.


The above examples are intended to provide evidence that I’m knowledgeable in nursing legislation and policies that provide standard procedure for nursing practice.

Need to write your own selection criteria? Not sure how? Our DIY Selection Criteria Pack includes 'fill in the blank' templates so you can write your own in minutes. As a bonus it comes with 80+ real life winning selection criteria examples, plus video tutorials showing you EXACTLY how to pull it together. This is a must need solution to your selection criteria problems. Click here for more information. 

Comments

  1. Resume writing is an act of frustration and fear for some people because they do not really know how to convey their experiences, qualifications and skills to stand out among the other thousands of resumes that the employer has to look at. rn cover letter

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey I’m Martin Reed,if you are ready to get a loan contact.Mr Benjamin via email: 247officedept@gmail.com ,WhatsApp:+1 989-394-3740 I’m giving credit to his Service .They grant me the sum 2,000,000.00 Euro. within 5 working days.Mr Benjamin work with  group investors into pure loan and debt financing at the  low ROI to pay off your bills or buy a home Or Increase your Business. please I advise everyone out there who are in need of loan and can be reliable, trusted and capable of repaying back at the due time of funds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. the package is not good for myself.... I regretted buying it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post, and great website. Thanks for the information! https://dynamichealthstaff.com/oet-online-coaching

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have read several articles on this issue but you have brought up some interesting points. Just when I thought there was nothing new to investigate, you’ve proven me wrong. https://dynamichealthstaff.com/nursing-jobs-in-canada-for-indian-nurses

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing such a great article and looking forward to more articles in the future. You can visit: Hire staff online for hospital.

    ReplyDelete
  7. babe thanks for the tips, it will definitionally help me to crack my interview and improve my communication skill. my portfolio - Hot satta

    ReplyDelete
  8. A well-crafted resume is vital for nurse selection criteria. Emphasize relevant nursing experience, education, and certifications to stand out. Address specific job criteria to demonstrate suitability. Resume writing services Winnipeg can help create a professional resume tailored to the nursing position you seek.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Selection Criteria Example, Cultivates Productive Working Relationships

Personal Drive and Integrity Selection Criteria Example